Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Borrowed Time: A Review

So I was browsing Reddit a couple of days ago, and I came across a new animation that was made by two Pixar animators. One would think since Pixar animators usually create family friendly animations, this one would be the same. However, this animation was definitely made for adults.

Borrowed Time tells the story of an old sheriff troubled by his past. The story starts out on a windy, dark, and cloudy day. The sheriff looks weak and defeated. He slowly walks towards a cliff.
The story does not rely on dialogue, but rather motion, facial expressions, and physics. It does an excellent job of immersing you in the story. I could feel the sheriff's emotions as he thought about his past, and the physics of the character's movement match the mood and tone of the piece. I don't think I could ever model like this, but I am very interested in learning how to animate in the way this piece was animated, in a very loose way. 

This is a story about accepting the past, and accepting mistakes. It also touches on dark themes such as death, suicide, and violence. It's a story that won't make sense to children, and that's okay. This piece is an example that animation can used to tell any story. It doesn't have to be family friendly. The creators did a really good job of making that clear. I can't really think of any way this piece could improve. It's very beautiful and I highly recommend you watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment